Data recovery, computer repair and IT consulting with a personal touch.
Computer help in Arlington, VA
Arlington Virginia Computer Repair is frequently asked questions about common situations. Below are some examples that may
help answer your inquiry. If you would like to contact us instead, please click here
. For articles by
Arlington Virginia Computer Repair check out our blog
- Q: I spilled liquid inside my computer. Is it possible to repair the damage?
- A: It depends on how much liquid was spilled and what your budget is for repairs. If the computer no longer turns on you may have a defective motherboard because it was shorted out. Broken motherboards are often very expensive to repair. If the computer can turn on, but the keyboard and/or touchpad or other buttons don't work then the damage may be limited to those components and they can be replaced.
- Q: I accidentally dropped or otherwise damaged my computer. Now it's having problems. Can it be repaired?
- A: It may be possible be to repair, but we will have to diagnose it and assess the problem(s) involved. We'll also need as much information as we can get about the circumstances that caused the damage and what's happening with the computer now. Don't use your computer if it's damaged as that may make the damage worse.
- Q: When I'm watching a video or playing a game my computer gets a blue screen or shuts down. What's wrong with it?
- A: Often times this is a sign of a bad video card or memory module. You may also have dust inside the computer or a faulty fan. If you can't replace the parts or clean it up safely, contact us and we can help.
- Q: I noticed my CD/DVD drive does not read discs anymore or won't eject. Do I need a new drive?
- A: The answer is most likely yes. Sometimes this condition can be repaired, but other times the drive may be a lost cause. If you have a PC you are in luck because replacement drives are inexpensive. Apple drives and the labor involved is usually more expensive so it may be better to get an external drive.
- Q: Why does my computer shut itself down all the time?
- A: Sometimes this is an indication of overheating or it also may be a faulty hardware component, such as a power supply, memory module motherboard or video card. If the system feels hot you can try to clean out the fans. We're here to help if cleaning it up isn't enough.
- Q: Do you repair Apple (Mac) computers and laptops with screen, keyboard, hard disk, memory and other problems?
- A: Yes, we are able to repair Apple (Mac) computers and laptops. Usually our prices are much more affordable than
other shops and even Apple. We can repair both new Intel and old G4 systems. Call us at 703-486-0200 and talk to a Mac expert today.
- Q: Do you work with open source operating systems such as Linux?
- A: Absolutely! We work with many Linux distrubitions, including Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, Slackware, SuSE and we also work with FreeBSD.
- Q: Is it safe to click on links in e-mails or instant messages?
- A: Unless you can absolutely 100% verify you know the source of the message, it is not safe. There are many scams, spams and viruses ever increasingly
finding their way in to computers around the world. It is more important than ever to be safe, rather than sorry. Be very careful with social networking, file sharing and other questionable websites.
- Q: How can I keep my data safe?
- A: Always back up! If you don't have a DVD burner or an external drive, get one. Keep multiple backups in seperate locations if possible.
- Q: I have data that is lost. The drive still works but I can't get to it. Can Arlington Virginia Computer Repair recover my data?
- A: In most cases we can. Please give us a call at 703-486-0200 and we'll schedule an appointment for an estimate.
- Q: My drive is physically broken. Can you still recover my data?
- A: This varies on how the drive is broken. If it is an external drive, sometimes this is a failure we can work around. If it is an internal drive and it is making
strange clicking noises, spinning up and down over and over or not powering on at all, there's a chance we may not be able to recover the data. Please call us at
703-486-0200 and we'll help you assess the situation.
- Q: My laptop's screen is shattered. Can you fix it? How long will it take? Is it worth repairing?
- A: We can repair broken laptop screens within one or two business weeks on most occassions. It is generally worth repairing unless the system is more
than four years old. It's important to note that we only use new replacement parts that are sourced from manufacturer approved resellers for the best quality repair.
- Q: Can you repair or replace laptop keyboards?
- A: In most cases yes. Please call us at 703-486-0200 for a free estimate.
- Q: My computer is running slow. Is it infected with viruses and/or spyware?
- A: In most cases, yes. This can also happen if your system is overheating or you have a lot of (unnecessary) programs running at once. Other times you
may simply need more memory to meet your usage requirements. Please call us at 703-486-0200 so we may help you assess the situation.
- Q: Does Arlington Virginia Computer Repair perform contractual high availability business computer services?
- A: Yes, with corporate clients we have remote, on-site and emergency support availability on a contractual basis. Please call 703-486-0200 to speak with a sales representative.
- Q: Do you repair printers?
- A: Not at this time.
- Q: Can you help me wire my home network, telephone, tv and/or home theater?
- A: We do not currently offer in-home services.
- Q: Should I stop using file sharing programs and web sites? If so, why?
- A: Yes, and for many compelling reasons. First and most obviously is that it's illegal (and growing more illegal by the day). Secondarily and
just as important is that these sites are hosts of viruses, spyware and other malicious content that CAN and likely WILL infect your system.
- Q: Why does Arlington Virginia Computer Repair work by appointments and not walk-ins?
- A: We feel it is important keep our operations orderly and give every client hands-on service with a technician. Appointments are scheduled
from 10am to 7pm on weekdays. We are closed on major holidays. Please call us today at 703-486-0200 if you're having computer troubles.